These egg free scones are delicious and crumbly and taste just amazing with Cornish Clotted Cream and home-made Jam. Perfect for a teatime treat!
Cooking time: 12 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Makes 10 Scones (using a 4cm cutter)
For the Scones
- 335g Self Raising Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 75g Unsalted Butter cut in to cubes
- 75g Caster Sugar
- 150ml Buttermilk
- 4 tbsp Milk
- Clotted Cream to serve
For the Jam
- 300g Strawberries
- 50g Cater Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 220C/Gas Mark 7
- Sieve the Flour and Salt in to a bowl and add the cubed butter
- Rub the butter into the flour and then stir in the sugar
- Add the Milk to the Buttermilk and pour into the bowl
- Mix the ingredients together until it resembles a soft dough
- Flour the surface and place the dough on to the side and pat until it is approximately 2cm thick.
- Cut the scones out using your pastry cutter and re-pat the scone mix to make more scones
- Place on some baking paper on a baking tray and ensure they are spread out
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little Buttermilk or Milk
- Cook in the oven for approximately 12 minutes, the scones should look golden on top
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack
- To make the Jam, add the Strawberries and Sugar to a pan and add 2 tablespoons of water. Simmer for approximately 10 minutes until the Jam looks like syrup. You can make this whilst the scones are in the oven.
- Serve the Scones with some Clotted Cream and home-made Strawberry Jam
For fruit Scones just add a small handful of Sultana’s or (my favourite) Glacé Cherries.