This lemon drizzle cake is delicious and so easy to make, I bet your friends won’t be able to tell that it’s eggless either!
Cooking time: 1 minute for the drizzle top and 25 minutes in the oven
Preparation time: 15 minutes
For the sponge
- 200g Self Raising Flour
- 125g Caster Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 200ml Milk
- 100ml Corn Oil
- 2 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- Rind of 1 Lemon
For the lemon drizzle
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 25g Caster Sugar
- Pre heat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4
- Line the base of a 7 inch cake tin with baking paper
- Sift the flour, salt and sugar into a bowl and make a well
- Dissolve the bicarb in the milk and poor in to the well. Add the corn oil, golden syrup, lemon extract and lemon rind.
- Beat until the mixture looks like a smooth batter (there should be no lumps of flour)
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes, like an egg cake, to test if the cake is done insert a skewer into the middle of the cake and if it comes out clean it is cooked.
- Whilst the cake is cooking heat the lemon juice and sugar until all of the sugar has dissolved to make a lemon syrup
- When you have removed the cake from the oven, whilst it’s still warm prick all over with a cocktail stick and drizzle the syrup over the cake so that it soaks into the sponge. I tend to only use half of the syrup on the cake and use the other half to drizzle over the cake just before serving.