Shortbread has always been a favourite biscuit of mine as they never have egg in them. I’ve flavoured these with lemon, but you could substitute the lemon for orange or vanilla or even add chocolate chips.
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Makes 16 biscuits (depending on the cutter used)
- 9oz Plain flour
- 3oz Caster sugar
- 6oz Butter
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 tsp Lemon essence
- Pre heat your oven to 180C Gas mark 4
- Sift the flour and sugar in to a bowl and add the butter and lemon zest and essence
- Rub the butter into the flour and sugar and knead together to make a smooth paste
- Roll the mix to 1 cm thickness
- Use shape cutters to cut the shortbread in to shapes, or cut in to fingers
- bake on an oven tray in the oven for 20-25 minutes (depending on the side of the shapes)
- Store in an air tight container.